Gmail Go Is Now Available For Android
Google’s latest acquisition ‘Gmail Go’ known as the lighter version of Gmail, is now available for download on the Google Play Store. It is ideally meant for smartphones that are low on specs and run on the Android Go edition of the Android OS. However, Google has expanded the range of phones that are suitable for the download of the Gmail Go app.
As of now, the Gmail Go application is available to download without any restrictions. The app also provides an additional 15 GB of free cloud storage, and it is available to download on Android Go devices from Google Play. In the year 2017, Google quoted that Android Go will ship in 2018 for all Android devices that have 1 GB or less of memory and is shipped together with 1 GB or less memory.
Some pre-installed Android Go devices include Google Go, YouTube Go, Google Assistant Go, Google Maps Go, Gboard, Gmail Go, Chrome, Files Go app by Google and Google Play.
What is Gmail Go?
Launched 2 years back in 2018, it is almost identical to the services offered by Gmail, while shaving off half the file size. The application features a “smarter inbox” that is smart in sorting emails by social, promotional, friends, and more. Apart from all this, it also blocks spam and includes multiple account support.
When it comes to features and functionality, it is practically indistinguishable from Gmail. The two possess almost the same functionality, and the only major difference is that it’s available for Android Go from Google Play.
For users running Android Oreo 8.1 or less, they can sideload the app by installing it from APKMirror. The installer is hardly 10 MB lighter than standard Gmail at 9.5 MB. When installed, it takes around 24.8 MB i.e. about half of Gmail’s 47.28 MB. Its prominent features include,
A smarter inbox– As the name suggests, the smarter inbox focuses on messages from the priority senders first i.e. friends and families. All other social and promotional emails are categorized neatly according to your time.
Less spam– Gmail Go is quick on blocking spam before they hit your inbox. Your account is always safe and clutter-free.
Multiple accounts– You can set up both Gmail and non-Gmail addresses like outlook.com, IMAP/POP email.
Storage space– The application provides 15 MB free storage space. This means there is no room for deleting messages.
Gmail vs Gmail Go: The Comparison
Let us discuss the comparison in every aspect between Gmail and Gmail Go.
- App Size: It weighs between 9 to 10 MB, whereas, the Gmail app comes with a much larger size that ranges between 20-25 MB.
- Availability: Where all other Go apps could be downloaded on any device from the Play Store, this app is limited to the Android Go devices. Google has restricted to install ‘Go’ on other Android devices. It comes in-build on Android Go running devices. Meanwhile, the standard Gmail app comes pre-installed on all other normal devices.
- User interface: The user interface of both Gmail and Gmail Go is almost identical. However, there is a slight difference in the navigation drawer. In Gmail, you have the cover picture and profile photo of the account right at the top, whereas, in Gmail Go, you can only find the email address and an option to switch between multiple accounts.
- Email syncing: Go apps are suitable for low-end Android smartphones. Therefore, it has limited the sync period to 7 days. However, you do have the option of increasing or decreasing the sync settings manually.
- Account management: It is not equipped with the ‘My Account’ setting that is present in the Gmail account. With this feature, you can change your Gmail password and perform all other settings within the app with ease.
Time to Wrap up:
Gmail Go is the latest offering from the tech giant Google that will be available on Google Play now. All the Go apps by Google are unique and comes with intrusive features. Google Go displays trending searches and comes in a different design as compared to the official app. The Gmail you love is now lighter and faster, offering all that you need.