Best OTT Platforms to Entertain You
India is one such country where people welcome changes with open hands. The idiot-box, better is known as the TV sets are no more the primary mode of entertainment for youths in India as the GenX has shifted their focus on the OTT platform.
These OTT platforms have changed the dynamics and landscape for media as they have managed to take over the most common form of dispensing media i.e. TV. Be it movies, shows, reality shows, animations, etc. OTT platforms are offering everything encapsulated in one block.
Therefore, we have compiled the Top 10 OTT platforms available in India who have managed to garner large audiences and changed the landscape of viewing media.
Top 10 OTT platforms Available In India
1. Amazon Prime Video
One of the e-commerce giant Amazon has its own dedicated Web Services Scalable Cloud Computing Service that offers a wide range of entertainment.
- It was launched in 2016.
- Besides English, the Amazon Prime Video is available in six different languages including Hindi.
- Choose from movies and Amazon originals to watch on both paid and non-paid basis.
Second, on the list is the ever-so-popular Netflix Inc. The subscription-based streaming service was formed in 1997, and so far has managed a gigantic figure of 193 million paid subscribers worldwide including, 73 million in the US alone.
- One of the immensely popular OTT platforms around the world has reaped formidable subscribers in India as well.
- Netflix has over 2.5 million subscribers in India.
- You can watch both Hindi and English content on Netflix, among other languages.
Known as Disney+ Hotstar in India and Indonesia, is an Indian video-on-demand subscription service hugely popular in India. It is owned and operated by Star India and as a subsidiary of the Walt Disney Company India.
- One of the most popular streaming service in India
- It has two paid subscriptions- ‘VIP’ for Indian content and ‘Premium’ for International content
- It has a wide range of sports content including, Tennis, Cricket, Kabaddi, Football, etc.
- HBO, Showtime, and other American originals are a part of Hotstar’s Premium plan.
Owned by Sony Pictures Networks India Pvt Ltd, Sony LIV is one of the booming OTT platforms in India. This video-on-demand service is currently available in India, some parts of the middle-east and Pakistan.
- As the name suggests, SonyLIV is owned by Sony Pictures Networks India Pvt Ltd.
- Its library contains the contents of the past 18 years of Sony Network channels in India.
- The latest update of SonyLIV has seen many improvements with a range of quality American content as well.
- The OTT service is available in languages including English, Hindi, Kannada, Tamil, Malayalam, Telugu, Marathi, and Bangla.
Zee5 is another popular Indian OTT platform that has risen to prominence in a short span of time. It is a product of Essel Group via its subsidiary Zee Entertainment Enterprises.
- It was launched on 14th Feb 2018 and includes content across 12 different languages.
- Its Premium features let the user get access to shows before they are telecasted on TV that too ad-free.
- The Premium subscription costs Rs 999 for a year.
Voot is an on-demand video subscription program from Viacom 18 headquartered in Mumbai, India. Voot hosts over 40,000 hours of video content and is immensely popular for its content variety.
- Launched in 2016, Voot is an Indian subscription video on demand (SVOD) service.
- It is a product of Viacom 18 that is a hub of Colors TV and MTV India.
- Voot includes shows from channels like MTV, Nickelodeon, and Colors.
- Apart from Hindi and English, the content of Kannada, Marathi, Bengali, Gujarati, Telugu, and Tamil are also available on Voot.
7. MX Player
MX Player was initially developed as an audio player for mobile devices. However, after a long hiatus, it started generating contents of its own and is among the hugely popular OTT services in India.
- MX Player is developed by MX Media and Entertainment.
- It was launched in February 2019, with content from various. International studios including Paramount Pictures, Shemaroo, Screen Media Films, etc.
- The OTT platform has over 280 million users globally.
8. ALT Balaji
ALT Balaji is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Balaji Telefilms Ltd. Launched on April 16th, 2017. The OTT platform has around 37 million paid users currently.
- It is an Indian subscription-based video on demand platform owned by Balaji Telefilms Ltd.
- It offers different language content including Bengali, Hindi, Marathi, Tamil, Punjabi, and more.
- ALT Balaji is available across 32 different interfaces for its viewers.
Arre was formed in February 2015 and has generated various short contents to date.
- An Indian platform based in Mumbai was founded by former Network 18 and TV 18 executives.
- It is a content-based startup and publishes videos, audio series, web series, documentaries, text, and doodles through its online channel.
10. Eros Now
Owned by Eros International Plc, Eros Now is an on-demand video streaming platforms specifically for Bollywood related content.
- Owned and created by Eros Digital, this video-on-demand entertainment, and media platform was launched in 2012.
- Eros Now delivers Bollywood content for both paid and free users.
Time to wrap up:
With the increase in demand and popularity of online-based content, there is tough competition in the OTT platforms. We have combined the best on-demand video platforms here so you can pick anyone and watch your favorite show anytime, anywhere.